These things seem self-evident to me:
- Mankind has a responsibility to protect and preserve the world God gave us, and to try and perfect the natural order with which the earth is endowed. Despoiling nature is a sin – plain and simple. And it should be a crime.
- We are born free and no one person has the right to deny freedom to any other person. Your freedom extends as far as possible without infringing on the freedoms and rights of others.
- That freedom includes the right to speak your mind without fear of retribution from the government. You do not, of course, have the right to shout “fire!” falsely in a crowded theater. BUT you not only have the right but indeed the responsibility to shout “fire!” if there is one.
- Our right to justice is tempered by our obligation to show compassion.
- We should seek peace and brotherhood, share our blessings and try to be tolerant of the shortcomings of our neighbors, as we hope they will be tolerant of ours.
- Greed, gluttony, cruelty, self-righteousness, treachery, lies, deceit and false promises are despicable. We dishonor God’s creation when we resort to such ugly behavior.
That is why I could never be a Republican in America.
Republicans seem intent on destroying America’s environment and wildlife, censoring the media, bringing back school segregation and criminalizing medically and morally motivated abortion, pursuing draconian measures against undocumented immigrants and petty lawbreakers, and dismantling the social safety net. They are apparently dedicated to a system that rewards greed and selfishness to the detriment of the common good.
And their methods are as ugly as their objectives. They lie, they deceive, they are sanctimonious and hypocritical…
This is what a majority of American voters opted for in November?