Category — OLYMPICS 2012
Our amazing athletes from London 2012 will soon return to island, and many of us are wondering just how the government will reward them for their stellar performance at the Olympic Games.
Many are suggesting a national motorcade; others hope for a national holiday; some suggest honoring the athletes financially. The question remains however, can we afford it? Check out these interesting poll results on Jamaica Observer.
In light of the recent revelation by the government that £1,000,000.00 was spent in London on promoting Jamaica, has the kitty run dry?
Would national recognition – renaming streets, parks or national distinctions – be acceptable if we are unable to offer financial compensation? Or is there enough crown land available to give to each athlete in their parish of choice?
Then again, with athletes appearing on the Frobes list of the world’s wealthiest and donning $500k watches, they might need a little bit more than just chump change to feel truly appreciated.
What say you?
- Bolt Avenue?
- National and community events planned by government to fete athletes
- Sports minister wants to increase number of events of Rio Olympics
- Bolt, Fraser-Pryce for Diamond League today
- Gatlin ends track season due to illness
- Blake happy to skip Bolt rivalry this season
August 23, 2012 No Comments
- Bruce Jenner: Usain Bolt not the greatest athlete
- I’m no Usain Bolt, it’s a fight to the finish, says Obama
- Jamaican athletes fan out – Some return home, others jet off to Italy
- Puma hosts party for Jamaican team
- Bolt’s hold on social media
- Olympic flag arrives in Rio
- Bolt, Blake for August 23 Diamond League
- JADCO rejects claims of former anti-doping boss
- VIDEO: Jermaine Gonzales was not hurt, Bert Cameron
- AUDIO: Semaj on Melaine Walker
- Those unforgiving track ‘analysts’
- Bolt biggest Jamaican export
- Millions for Trinidad and Tobago’s Keshorn Walcott
August 14, 2012 No Comments
- IOC president admits Bolt is indeed a legend
- Bolt considers Australian cricket offer
- Bolt parties till dawn
- Stamp dealer cashes in big time on Bolt
- Capitalizing on Bolt’s star power
- Bolt hits back at IOC boss
- Bolt vs. Lewis
- Carl Lewis owes Jamaica an apology
- Applying athletics’ success to business
- Back to reality for Britain post Olympics
- Jamaica on top in athletics, but…
- Amazing Olympic closing ceremony
- Olympic athletes back campaign against hunger
- All about Warren Weir
- Yohan Blake the from another planet?
- PHOTOS: Fashion from London
- Women in the Olympics
- Kenneth Edwards’ ground-breaking moment
- Jamaican journalist wins smartphone in raffle
- Great pride in out athletes
- Ugandan upstages Kenyan to win marathon gold
August 13, 2012 No Comments
Click here for complete list of names and medal standings.
August 11, 2012 No Comments
Saturday, August 11, 2012
|03:00 AM Men’s 50km walk Final Medal event|
|11:00 AM Women’s 20km walk Final|
|01:00 PM Women’s High Jump Final Medal event|
|01:20 PM Men’s Javelin Throw Final Medal event|
|01:30 PM Men’s 5000m Final Medal event|
|02:00 PM Women’s 800m Final Medal event|
|02:25 PM Women’s 4 x 400m Relay Final Medal even|
|03:00 PM Men’s 4 x 100m Relay Final|
- Jamaica wins gold in Men’s 4x100m relay, breaking the world record. United States and Trinidad and Tobago receive silver and bronze respectively. Canada loses out on bronze due to lane violation. Complete results here.
- Jamaican women take bronze in 4x400m relay behind United States and Russia. Results here.
August 11, 2012 No Comments
Friday, August 10, 2012
|01:00 PM Men’s Pole Vault Final Medal event|
|01:10 PM Women’s 4 x 400m Relay Round 1|
|01:35 PM Women’s Hammer Throw Final Medal event|
|01:45 PM Men’s 4 x 100m Relay Round 1|
|02:05 PM Women’s 5000m Final Medal event|
|02:40 PM Women’s 4 x 100m Relay Final Medal even|
|02:55 PM Women’s 1500m Final Medal event|
|03:20 PM Men’s 4 x 400m Relay Final Medal event|
- Bahamas, United States and Trinidad and Tobago win gold, silver and bronze in Men’s 4x400m. Click here for the results.
- Jamaican women ran a superb relay to win silver in the 4x100m behind the United States, setting a national record and world record respectively. Bronze went to the Ukraine. Click here for complete results
- Jamaican men advance to 4x400m relay final. Click here for complete results.
- I’ve lost respect for Carl Lewis says Bolt
- Bolt: Carl Lewis was one of, I am the greatest
- Countdown for Moscow 2013 World Champs begins
- Bolt, The Legend
- Bolt not yet a legend says IOC President
- Jamaica 17th on medal table
- Possible sanction for Blake’s watch wearing stunt
- Street version for Cedella Marley’s London 2012 designs?
- Traves Smikle considering UWI or University of Georgia
- Local Paralympians head for London Games
- 200m sweep excites Jamaicans in London
- Easy as 1-2-3
- Trelawny residents want Bolt’s face carved into hillside
- Jamaica House goes wild for athletes
- Blake: It is Bolt’s time
- Weir: Thank you, Mr. Mills
- World record for David Rudisha of Kenya
- Aussie scatters father’s ashes on Olympic track
- Guess which country has the most last place finishes…
August 10, 2012 No Comments
Thursday, August 9, 2012
|03:00 AM Men’s Decathlon 110m Hurdles|
|03:30 AM Women’s High Jump Qualification|
|03:55 AM Men’s Decathlon Discus Throw|
|05:35 AM Men’s 4 x 400m Relay Round 1|
|06:55 AM Men’s Decathlon Pole Vault|
|12:30 PM Men’s Decathlon Javelin Throw|
|01:20 PM Men’s Triple Jump Final Medal event|
|01:30 PM Women’s 800m Semi-finals|
|02:00 PM Men’s 800m Final Medal event|
|02:20 PM Women’s 4 x 100m Relay Round 1|
|02:55 PM Men’s 200m Final Medal event|
|03:00 PM Women’s Javelin Throw Final Medal event|
|03:20 PM Men’s Decathlon 1500m|
- PRICELESS: Bolt, Blake, Weir take home the gold, silver and bronze for Jamaica. Click here for results.
- Women’s 4×100 team advances to relay final
- Gonzales pulls up, Jamaica out of 4x400m relay final
- The blame game for the 4x400m relay foul up begins
- AUDIO: Donald Quarrie denies knowing Gonzales was injured before 4x400m relay
- Yohan Blake’s US$500,000 watch controversy
- Business lessons from Usain Bolt
- Yohan Blake’s sister speaks
- PM proud of athletes in London
- 1,2,3 sweep for Jamaica in Men’s 200m?
- Bahamas clocks national record in 4×400 heats
- Jamaica favourites for men’s 4x100m
- Brand Jamaica in London
- Bolt for Manchester United after Olympics?
- Brigitte looking to retire
August 9, 2012 No Comments
Wednesday, August 8, 2012
|04:00 AM Men’s Pole Vault Qualification|
|04:00 AM Women’s Hammer Throw Qualification|
|04:10 AM Men’s Decathlon 100m|
|04:45 AM Men’s 5000m Round 1|
|05:10 AM Men’s Decathlon Long Jump|
|05:35 AM Women’s 800m Round 1|
|06:50 AM Men’s Decathlon Shot Put|
|12:00 PM Men’s Decathlon High Jump|
|01:05 PM Men’s Javelin Throw Qualification|
|01:15 PM Men’s 110m Hurdles Semi-finals|
|01:45 PM Women’s 1500m Semi-finals|
|02:05 PM Women’s Long Jump Final Medal event|
|02:10 PM Men’s 200m Semi-finals|
|02:45 PM Women’s 400m Hurdles Final Medal event|
|03:00 PM Women’s 200m Final Medal event|
|03:15 PM Men’s 110m Hurdles Final Medal event|
|03:30 PM Men’s Decathlon 400m|
- Hansle Parchment surprises with a superb performance to win silver in Men’s 110M Hurdles in a new national record for Jamaica of 13.12. Aries Merritt and Jason Richardson of USA took gold and silver respectively. Click here for complete results. Parchment is the first Jamaican to medal in the Men’s 10m Hurdles at the Olympics. Congrats Hansle!
- Fraser-Pryce takes silver in Women’s 200m won by Allyson Felix. Carmelita Jeter took the bronze ahead of VCB who placed fourth. Click here for complete results.
- Kaliese Spencer misses out on bronze, landing fourth in Women’s 400m Hurdles.
- Trouble in MVP camp? Melaine speaks in code
- Bolt The Legend, Shelly The Great
- VCB chasing history
- Maurice Wignall bets on Hansle Parchment
- Results of Asafa’s MRI
- Leford Green for 4x400m relay?
- Trecia Smith not retiring just yet
- Howard Aris to receive Order of Jamaica
- Kenia Sinclair withdraws from 800m with several injuries
- Bolt reveals secret to blazing 200m run
- Media coverage in London and Jamaica
August 8, 2012 No Comments
Tuesday, August 7, 2012
|04:00 AM Women’s Javelin Throw Qualification|
|04:10 AM Men’s 110m Hurdles Round 1|
|04:45 AM Men’s Triple Jump Qualification|
|04:55 AM Women’s 5000m Round 1|
|05:50 AM Men’s 200m Round 1|
|01:00 PM Men’s High Jump Final Medal event|
|01:05 PM Women’s Long Jump Qualification|
|01:15 PM Women’s 100m Hurdles Semi-finals|
|01:45 PM Men’s Discus Throw Final Medal event|
|01:55 PM Men’s 800m Semi-finals|
|02:25 PM Women’s 200m Semi-finals|
|03:00 PM Men’s 1500m Final Medal event|
|03:15 PM Women’s 100m Hurdles Final|
- VCB and Shelly-Ann on to Women’s 200m final. Sherone Simpson knocked out. Click here for the results.
- Bolt, Blake, Weir cruise to Men’s 200m semi-finals. Click here for the results of each heat.
- Shermaine Williams to compete in Women’s 100m hurdles at 1:15pm. Click here for the complete startlist.
- VCB, Sherone and Shelly-Ann for the Women’s 200m at 2:25pm. Click here for the complete startlist.
- Usain Bolt breaks interview to honor U.S. anthem
- High profile celebrities keeping a low profile at Olympics
- Remember the London athlete who auctioned himself on eBay?
- Seb Coe thrilled at Saturday’s performances on the track
- Bolt has one more gold medal to accomplish for legendary status in his eyes
August 7, 2012 No Comments
Sunday, August 6, 2012 (Jamaica Time)
|04:00 AM Men’s Discus Throw Qualification|
|04:05 AM Women’s 100m Hurdles Round 1|
|04:45 AM Women’s Shot Put Qualification|
|04:50 AM Men’s 800m Round 1|
|05:45 AM Women’s 1500m Round 1|
|01:00 PM Women’s Pole Vault Final Medal event|
|01:15 PM Women’s Shot Put Final Medal event|
|01:20 PM Women’s 200m Round 1|
|02:15 PM Women’s 400m Hurdles Semi-finals|
|02:45 PM Men’s 400m Hurdles Final Medal event|
|03:05 PM Women’s 3000m Steeplechase Final Medal|
|03:30 PM Men’s 400m Final|
- Kaliese Spencer is the only Jamaican in the 400m Hurdles final after Melaine and Nickiesha fail to qualify.
- Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Sherone Simpson and VCB advance to semi finals of Women’s 200m.
- London Olympics rules baffle Usain
- Beer bottle thrown at Usain Bolt
- Brigitte Foster-Hylton in tears
- Asafa Powell to undergo medical tests
- No 4x100m relay for Asafa
- Bolt, Blake reach out to Asafa
- Yohan’s parents very proud
- Bolt’s hometown erupts in celebration
- Fraser-Pryce thanks church for prayers
- Usain Bolt on his detractors
- Shelly-Ann on a mission for 200m gold
- Usain Bolt, A champion in the eyes of young athletes
August 6, 2012 No Comments