Henry Wotton made this infamous statement many moons ago.
“An ambassador is an honest man sent abroad to lie for his country”.
Well, Wotton did not consider the positive impact on a honest woman such as April Jackson.
In April of 2008 April Jackson captured the title of Miss Jamaica Universe, and have used this platform of being a global Jamaican ambassador with much relish and integrity.
April Jackson, Miss Jamaica Universe 2008
Her career as an ambassador started as Miss Jamaica UK. This post enabled April to show the pride she has for her country and be a positive role model for many.
Some of her best moments that you may be aware of include:
- Modeling for couture designer Adebayo Jones.
- Participating in Lambeth’s celebration of the bicentennial year of the abolishment of slavery .
- Being of the front cover of Positive People Magazine with a four page spread.
April also had major impact on the local Jamaican scene.
- April has contributed to positive change amongst youth as a member of the board of Denham Town High School
- April is founder of Give Children A Future (GCAF) Foundation.
She has overcome obstacles to include her mother leaving abruptly without word when she was in her late teens. Consequently she has a passion for children in homes and raises funds to adhere to the needs of foster homes through GCAF.
April considers delivering motivational talks and spending time with young people a priority as she aims to inspire them to achieve great things despite the troubles they may face.
In the coming Fall she will be attending Columbia University to pursue her academic aspirations. The Big Apple, New York City will assist her in pursuing her interests in the modeling and media.
I had the distinct privilege to have April reflect on her year as a Jamaican ambassador.